Okay, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration. There very well may be another cookie that beats this… but I promise you, I am yet to taste anything better. This is just happiness in a cookie, literally. Each bite just gets better and better and better, until you’ve eaten half the batch and are rolling yourself into the bedroom. Caution: It’s very well that this may happen, as these are dangerously addictive. You’ve been warned! However… even the food-induced coma ain’t your typical ‘i’ve eaten too much’ kinda feeling. I was just lying there, smiling, patting my belly and thinking, holy f*** I found heaven on earth.
Before I continue, I have to apologise to you all. When I created this blog it was my intention to routinely post. Twice a week, at the very least once. As you’ve all witnessed, however, that hasn’t gone to plan. That ol’ thing called life just bulldozed that plan right out the door. To tell you the truth, the past couple of months have been far from ideal. Juggling my last (EVER) semester of university, with work and 21st season (yes that’s a serious part of the mare), I’ve just had zilch time to do the things I love. Fast-forward to current time however, and I’ve got a Communications Degree in my pocket, with a major in journalism and a whole lotta time left to spend focusing on ME. We’re talking days of ample blobbing — binge-watching Netflix, getting my ass back into the gym and spending time in the kitchen, at last! Ah, it feels so good. So here’s my promise to you: From now on, there’s going to be AT LEAST one post per week. What I’d love from you guys is to message me the types of content you’re keen to see. That way, it’s perfect for all of us. ❤
Alrighty, back to these divine morsels of deliciousness! These hold the texture of ooey gooey fudge brownie, much because they are flourless cookies — making them Paleo too. Using coconut oil and coconut sugar keeps them refined sugar-free whilst giving that much-loved kick of coconut. It’s fair to say I went OTT on the chocolate here. There is an entire cup of cold-pressed cacao powder in these bad boys, PLUS an entire cup of dark chocolate chips. Mid-cooking these, I had an epiphany. That is, if I add hazelnuts to the mix, these will literally resemble Nutella. Obviously, I added the hazelnuts.
Only taking ten minutes to bake in the oven, don’t be deceived by their uncooked appearance. You want to remove them from the oven when they’re beginning to golden on the edges yet still ooey gooey on the inside. Then, while they’re cooling they’ll begin to solidify yet stay deliciously fudgey. To make these even better, you only need one bowl, a handful of ingredients and they’ll take you 30 minutes tops to make. So with that said, let’s get baking! I hope you enjoy them as much as I have been.
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil, solidified
- 3/4 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Free Range Egg (or 1 Flax Egg)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 cup cold pressed Cacao Powder
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Hazelnuts
- Sea Salt (optional for garnishing)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees and line your tray with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the coconut oil and coconut sugar and mix until fully combined. Then mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In the same bowl, add in the cacao powder, salt and baking soda until well combined. The mixture will be thick and fudgey (try not to eat it all!).
- Lastly, stir in the chocolate chips and the hazelnuts. Place the mixture in the fridge for 15 – 30 minutes. Do not skip this step — it makes the cookies extra fudgey and easier to roll.
- Using a large spoon, scoop the mixture into round balls and place them on the baking tray. About 3cm of space between each ball. Press down gently with the back of a fork and garnish with an optional sprinkle of sea salt.
- Place in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Once cooked, remove and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool further.
- ENJOY and as always, tag me in any Instagram posts if you decide to make these and let me know what you think. ❤